The Association of MBAs and Business Graduates Association (AMBA & BGA) has enhanced its International Management Board with the appointment of a new Trustee, Professor Karen Spens.
Professor Karen Spens has been the Rector of Hanken since 2015 and she will hold office until 2023.
She leads Hanken’s operations, and is responsible for the economical, efficient and effective discharge of the university mission.
Professor Spens appoints most of the faculty and staff, admits students for degree studies, and decides on matters that, in accordance with Acts, Decrees or internal regulations, are not to be decided by any other administrative body of the School.
She is also Professor of Supply Chain Management and Corporate Geography at Hanken. Her research has mainly focused on humanitarian logistics in which she has published several books, co-founded the Journal of Humanitarian Logistics and Supply Chain Management as well as the Humanitarian Logistics and Supply Chain Research Institute (HUMLOG Institute).
Prior to becoming Rector, Professor Spens served as Hanken’s Dean of Education between 2010 and 2015.
Commenting on her appointment to AMBA and BGA’s International Management Board, Professor Spens said: ‘I am truly honoured and happy to join such a distinguished board. I look forward to working with colleagues in our joint effort of making AMBA and BGA even stronger, and responding to global business and societal challenges innovatively and responsibly”
Andrew Main Wilson, CEO of AMBA & BGA, added: ‘We are delighted to welcome Professor Karen Spens to our Board. She is an internationally accomplished academic with substantial managerial experience and a leader who represents one of the leading Business Schools in Europe.
‘I am personally looking forward to working with Karen on further enhancing our AMBA and BGA strategies.’
Notes for editors
For more information, please contact:
David Woods-Hale, Head of Communications, AMBA & BGA
About AMBA & BGA
Spearheading excellence and trailblazing innovation, for more than 50 years the Association of MBAs (AMBA) has been the impartial authority on post-graduate management education.
AMBA established that vision in 1967 and, in a volatile, uncertain world, it’s as relevant today as it was then.
We are committed to raising the profile and quality standards of business education internationally, for the benefit of Business Schools, students and alumni, employers, communities and society.
- Our accreditation service is the global standard for all MBA, DBA and master’s degrees, currently accrediting programmes from the top 2% of Business Schools in more than 75 countries
- Our Research and Insight Centre produces a rich body of reports exploring global trends in the business education sector. This drives our global thought leadership and public affairs campaigns
- We are the only professional membership association that connects MBA students and graduates, accredited Business Schools and MBA employers throughout the world
- Through our members, AMBA is building an international force for good, championing best practice, responsible management and sustainability. Membership to AMBA means being part of an international community of peers with access to business strategy thought leadership, career advice and knowledge, and an MBA jobs portal
- Our multi-award-winning events offer networking opportunities online and in person across all continents in association with international corporate partners and thought leaders exclusively for our members and accredited Business Schools
The Business Graduates Association (BGA) is an international membership and accreditation body of world-leading and high-potential Business Schools that share a commitment for responsible management practices and lifelong learning, and are looking to provide positive impact on their students, communities and the economy as a whole. We offer:
- Quality assurance services to Business Schools and similar institutions, aimed at continuous improvement and positive impact to increase a Business School’s credibility and influence
- Consultation and mentorship services to Business Schools to improve their marketing and admissions, programme design, alumni interaction, teaching methods, and career development services
- Award-winning international events for Business School professionals, focused on continuous learning
- Student and graduate membership, which includes social networking events worldwide, professional development tools, a Career Development Centre, and much more
- Leading and award-winning content on responsible management, professional and personal growth, and influence via the Business Impact content hub
About AMBA’s Board of Trustees
AMBA’s Board of Trustees is responsible for the overall control and strategic direction of the Association of MBAs and Business Graduates Association. It meets regularly during the year to consider, determine and review the charity’s strategies and policies, and to receive board updates from the CEO.
Trustees are drawn from our professional members and serve up to a maximum of six years in a voluntary capacity. Trustee positions are reserved for Deans or other representatives of our accredited Business Schools, and for the Chair of AMBA’s accreditation board.
The Board delegates to three committees oversight responsibility for Human Resources and Nominations, Finance and Risk, and Membership, respectively.